Salary: £18,000 - £22,000 (Dependent on experience)
Reports to: HITZ Project Manager/ Community Manager
Closing date: 31st December 2013
Interview date: w/c 6th January 2014
Established in 1898, London Irish became a professional rugby club in 1996. There have been many developments over the years, including a move out to Madejski Stadium where London Irish now play all their home matches, but it is The Avenue that the Exiles find their spiritual home.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and inspiring team player who has proven ability to plan, deliver and evaluate high quality rugby and educational activities. You will combine your passion for rugby and sport with strong organisational, communication and administrative skills. As well as being a strong rugby coach, you
will also have the ability to engage positively and build relationships with challenging young people, motivating them to undertake a study programme and additional courses. You will also be expected to be able to communicate with a wide range of strategic partners.
The position will be based in Slough. Due to the nature of the job some evening and weekend work will be required. Applicants must hold a valid driving license and have access to a suitable vehicle.
• To develop, in conjunction with the Project Manager/Community Manager, a suitable social inclusion/educational rugby programme for London Irish RFC.
• To organise, set up, lead and coordinate rugby sessions at identified venues, coordinating competitions and other events as appropriate. All activities should be appropriate to the needs of the target audience and be line with the HITZ strategic aims.
• To work in partnership with a training provider to guide young people through a set programme of educational outcomes
• To be responsible for high quality delivery of community and social inclusion sessions as agreed in the programme
• To keep accurate monitoring records for all sessions, rugby and educational and contribute to the gathering and analysis of evaluation information for activities.
• To work in partnership with all local youth providers, local agencies and other partners to recruit and support ongoing participation and achievement by young people.
• To identify, recruit and direct young people onto relevant training and volunteering opportunities with identified partners.
• To work closely with a cohort of young people to progress them through simple engagement sessions and through to achieving academic outcomes through the learning provider
• To liaise with local funding agencies to ensure growth and sustainability of the programme.
• To maximise opportunities to raise awareness amongst the target audiences/boroughs of rugby/educational activities and encourage their participation.
• To oversee any appropriate budgets ensuring spend is within budget and raising any overspend issues with the Community Manager at an early stage
• To update the monitoring and evaluation system to a high standard (training provided)
• To identify and follow up potential opportunities to develop activities in line with the strategic development of the HITZ programme.
• A passion for sport and an understanding of wider issues related to sport, health and education
• Minimum Level 2 Rugby Football Union coaching award
• Current Criminal Records Bureau Check
• Experience of coaching within a range of environments
• Good understanding of the sports networks and the strategy
• Detailed knowledge of current coaching and training processes and how to adapt and target participants according to ability
• An enthusiastic and committed individual who will ‘go the extra mile’ to deliver results
• Good organisation and time management skills
• Excellent communication and motivation skills
• Valid driving licence and access to a suitable vehicle
• Willingness to work flexible hours
• An ability to inspire others
Other NGB Level 1/Level 2 qualifications
Degree qualified –strong academic record
Experience coaching with a range of age groups, demographics and abilities
Experience of working in a youth work setting
Experience of working within and educational environment
Experience of working with a wide variety of partners and stakeholders; including sports clubs and national governing bodies
Please send a CV and covering letter detailing relevant experience and why you are suitable for the job to: Rugby Development Coordinator, Ollie Braley Oliver.Braley@london-irish.com detailing the position you are applying for in the subject header.