Established in 1898, London Irish became a professional rugby club in 1996. There have been many developments over the years, including a move out to Madejski Stadium where London Irish now play all their home matches, but it is The Avenue that the Exiles find their spirtual home.
Sunbury-on-Thames has been the home of London Irish since 1931 when the club bought 11 acres of land off the then Avenue Road for the 'huge' sum of £1,280.
The intention was to provide a home from home for wandering Irish men and women regardless of creed or politics and a welcoming and hospitable venue to entertain rugby players and supporters from all over the world. Excluding the period 1940-1959 when the first XV played at Blackheath, the Sunbury grounds have been the home of the Exiles since then.
Over the decades the property has been developed to provide playing, training, administration and hospitality facilities that befit the club's status among the leading clubs not just in England but also in Europe.
Today the Avenue provides not only the administration and training headquarters for the professional squad, it is also the base for the London Irish England Rugby Academy and the Amateur Club.
The facilities include four pitches. The main pitch is used for training by the professional squad and for games by the development team and the 'Wild Geese', the top team in the Amateur Club.
On Sunday mornings during the season, the Avenue resounds to the noise of up to 400 mini-rugby players and coaches that take over the grounds for training and matches.
Show your "Exile-Style" and wear it with pride!